Capitan in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Population 1400 -- Elevation 6350 Ft.
[This is a two-sided marker]
Many incidents in the Lincoln County War, 1876-1879, occurred in the area around Capitán. The promoters Charles B. and John A. Eddy platted the townsite in 1900, after building a spur of the El Paso & Northeastern Railroad from Carrizozo in order to open the Salado coal fields. The mines were abandoned in 1901.
In 1950, a little bear cub, his feet badly burned, was rescued from a forest fire near here. The cub was nursed back to health and flown to Washington, D.C. to become the living symbol of "Smokey Bear" in the U.S. Forest Service’s fire prevention program.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Location. 33° 33.209′ N, 105° 35.938′ W. Marker is in Capitan, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on U.S. 380 at milepost 83.5, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Capitan NM 88316, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Capitán (approx. 1.1 miles away); Smokey Bear (approx. 1˝ miles away); Smokey Bear Historical Park Capitán (approx. 2 miles away); CCC Camp/German Internment Camp (approx. 5.7 miles away); Chapel (approx. 5.8 miles away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (approx. 5.8 miles away); Officer's Quarters (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitan.
Also see . . .
1. The Lincoln County War (1878-79) — Competition Wasn't Welcome. An article by Bill Kelly detailing the events of 1878-79 in Lincoln County. (Submitted on August 17, 2011.)
2. An Orphaned Bear. New Mexico's Smokey the Bear - How he was orphaned, rescued and named. (Submitted on August 17, 2011.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.