Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Willow Lane Park
1915 - Hagerstown Blues
1916 - 1918 - Hagerstown Terriers
1920 - 1921 - Hagerstown Champs
1922 -1923 - Hagerstown Terriers
1924 - 1930 - Hagerstown Hubs
Two Blue Ridge League players who ultimately went into careers in the Major Leagues and achieve Hall of Fame induction were Robert "Lefty" Grove and Lewis R. "Hack" Wilson. Both played for the Martinsburg teams.
South Patomac Junior High School was built on this site in 1930, and later became Bester Elementary School. Municipal Stadium was constructed in 1930 and the Hubs moved to the new stadium, but the league disbanded the following year due to heavy financial losses brought about by the "Great Depression."
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
Location. 39° 37.937′ N, 77° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rose Hill Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Kennedy (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Washington Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Elliott-Bester House (approx. half a mile away); Retreat from Gettysburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Great Indian Warrior/Trading Path (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jonathan Hager House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
Also see . . . Remembering the Class D, Blue Ridge League 1915-18, 1920-30. "They had nicknames like "Lefty", "Babe", "Hack", "Chick", "Bugs", "Rube", "Snooks", "Dutch" and "Shorty". They played for the love of the game..." (Submitted on August 13, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.