DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Commercial Store
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
Location. 29° 1.735′ N, 81° 18.238′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue west of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the front of the Landis-Fish Building, to the right of the front doors when facing the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Landis-Fish Building (here, next to this marker); The First Post Office (a few steps from this marker); First Movie House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haven Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Volusia County Historic Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Public Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilcox Saloon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Grocery Stores (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeLand.
More about this marker. The marker is located within the Downtown DeLand Historic District (a National Historic District).
Regarding First Commercial Store. The site where Capt. James Jordan opened his store in 1877 is today the location of the Landis-Fish Building, a two-story, Federal-style, brick office building. First built in 1905 by the law firm of Landis & Fish, the building would be the firm's home for 80 years, and is commemorated with its own historical marker. (See nearby marker: "Landis-Fish
Capt. Jordan decided to devote his time to citrus farming, so he sold the store to Kilkoft and Dreka. John Kilkoft was husband to George Dreka's sister, Eva. Kilkoft died shortly afterward, and Dreka used money from an insurance policy to build a new store just around the corner and one block south in 1882. Dreka built two buildings there, the second one in 1909. It is still in use today by various business and commercial interests, and is also commemorated with a historical marker. (See nearby marker: "Dreka Building")
Also see . . . "The Road to DeLand": G.A. Dreka. Historic photos of Capt. Jordan's first store, and George Dreka. (Submitted on August 13, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.