Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodville in Tyler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Woodville Academy and Woodville College

 
 
Woodville Academy and Woodville College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
1. Woodville Academy and Woodville College Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1849 in the new county courthouse (formerly at this site), the Woodville Academy offered advanced courses of study. Some of the subjects were astronomy, orthography (spelling), surveying and logic. In 1850 the school moved (1,500 ft. SE); it was sold, 1856.

That same year the town of Woodville and Woodville College were chartered. The school-- in the old Masonic Lodge (1,200 ft. W)--closed after a few years.

Among some 40 higher schools chartered in Texas 1845-1861, these two reflect a state-wide surge of interest in education.
 
Erected 1969 by State historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11462.)
 
Location. 30° 46.512′ N, 94° 24.93′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is on W. Bluff Street (U.S. 190) west of U.S. 69, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W. Bluff Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (here, next to this marker); Tyler County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Tyler County (a few steps from

Woodville Academy and Woodville College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
2. Woodville Academy and Woodville College Marker
Beside Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work marker
this marker); Home of James Edward Wheat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line).
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement