Good Roads in Colorado
Good roads meant good business, and in the early 1910s residents of Douglas County eagerly anticipated the completion of a new primary road, paid for the most part by state funds. Engineers from the State Highway Department designed a trunk highway, which they called the “Great North-South Highway,” to connect all
Bicycle clubs throughout Colorado lobbied for road improvements, organized social rides, and developed bicycle routes. These bicyclists on the Denver-Palmer Lake Bicycle Path might have ridden a century, or one hundred miles, if they made the round trip between the two towns. The path consisted of a ten-foot-wide corridor that followed the cottonwood-lined City Ditch between Denver and Littleton and traversed pastoral farms and ranches in Douglas County. But the path infuriated some property owners. One farmer, angry with day-trippers who “molested his melon patch and orchard,” strung barbed wire across his section to snare unsuspecting riders. Photo
On August 9, 1928, 2,999 spectators cheered at the dedication of the new cement-paved highway between Denver and Colorado Springs. The celebration included floats, a parade of 1,200 automobiles, and speeches from local dignitaries. In Palmer Lake, festivities included burning the effigy of “Dusty Roads,” while six airplanes soared overhead to mark the occasion.
Photo courtesy Colorado Historical Society.
Motorists stop near Franktown, 1900-1910.
Photo courtesy Denver Public Library.
“The road to Greenland and Larkspur is a disgrace to the county...It is boggy and poor, and (too) close to the railroad. Let up rise up and fight for our rights.” Douglas county Record, 1904.
Colorado Historical Society
Erected by Colorado Historical Society.
Location. 39° 22.347′ N, 104° 51.61′ W. Marker is in Castle Rock, Colorado, in Arapahoe County. Marker is on Wilcox Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Wilcox Street, Castle Rock CO 80104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Rock (here, next to this marker); Castle Rock (about 300 feet
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 658 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.