Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dreka Building

1882

 
 
Dreka Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
1. Dreka Building Marker
Inscription. On this site in 1882 George A. Dreka built his 2-story department store that later was expanded to four floors to also hold the Carrolton Hotel. In the 1886 fire that consumed much of the town, blankets were hung from the balconies and kept wet by a bucket brigade using water from a tank on the roof. In 1909 Dreka then moved the building and, for an estimated $75,000, erected the current structure designed by L M Wethers, which was the first reinforced concrete building in Volusia County. A brilliant entrepreneur, Dreka became the largest merchant in the area. His store's slogan was "everything to eat, wear, and use."
 
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 29° 1.673′ N, 81° 18.201′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on South Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) south of New York Avenue (State Road 44). Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the side of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Deland FL 32724, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miller-Fish Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Circa 1883
Dreka Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
2. Dreka Building Marker
The marker is mounted facing South Woodland Boulevard.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Dreka Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilcox Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haven Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Landis-Fish Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Commercial Store (about 400 feet away); First Public Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeLand.
 
Regarding Dreka Building. Before moving to this site, George Dreka's store got its start at another location nearby which is commemorated with its own historical marker. (See nearby marker: "First Commercial Store")

The Dreka Building is also known as One DeLand Plaza and the James H. Ford Building.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
The Dreka Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
3. The Dreka Building
The Dreka Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
4. The Dreka Building
One DeLand Plaza Sign image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
5. One DeLand Plaza Sign
James H. Ford Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
6. James H. Ford Building Marker
Also mounted on the building, the marker reads:

This building originally built in 1909 by G.A. Dreka, as a "one-stop shop" for dry goods, groceries, feed and grain has been an integral "place of commerce" in the DeLand community. Over the years, it has housed a hotel, prominent doctors, accountants, restaurants, J.C. Penny Co. and SouthTrust Bank.

A lifetime of leadership, banking and dedication to the community exemplify Jimmy Ford's contribution to DeLand and the surrounding area. This building is dedicated as the James H. Ford Building on September 24, 2004.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 15, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement