Danvers in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Endicott Pear Tree
1630 - 1930
On a part of the 300 acres
granted to Governor John
Endecott, is the pear tree
planted by the Governor in
1632. This tree still bears
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 32.915′ N, 70° 55.82′ W. Marker was in Danvers, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Water Street and Endecott Street. Touch for map. The marker is at a busy intersection, the subject of the marker is down the road at a much easier to reach location. I have asked Danvers town for a status on this marker and have not heard back from anyone. Marker was in this post office area: Danvers MA 01923, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Danversport (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Israel Hutchinson's Home / Israel Hutchinson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rebecca Nurse Homestead (approx. 1.1 miles away); In Commemoration of Arnold's Expedition to Quebec (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Plains (approx. 1.3 miles away); Samuel Holten House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Salem Village Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Salem Village Meeting House (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danvers.
Regarding Endicott Pear Tree. The tree itself is in the very back of the "Sylvania" plant off of the major highway Rt128/US95.
The Endicott Pear Tree, also known as the Endecott Pear, is a European Pear (Pyrus communis) tree located in Danvers, Essex County, Massachusetts. It is believed to be the oldest living cultivated fruit tree in North America.
Also see . . . Endicott Pear Tree. (Submitted on August 18, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 905 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 24, 2011. 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.