Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Matanzas Bay

Bahia de Matanzas

 
 
Matanzas Bay Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
1. Matanzas Bay Marker
Inscription. On this shore in 1586, Sir Francis Drake burned San Agustin and a new wooden fort called San Juan. In 1668, John Davis, an English corsair, sacked the town and almost captured its wooden fort. Many other pirates, seeking Spanish treasure ships, were a continuous threat.

To hold this harbor, Queen Mariana ordered this fort built of stone.
 
Location. 29° 53.87′ N, 81° 18.674′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from South Castillo Drive (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the parapet of Castillo de San Marcos. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Pirate Attacks (a few steps from this marker); La Necesaria (a few steps from this marker); U.S. Shot Furnace (a few steps from this marker); St. Charles Bastion (a few steps from this marker); St. Augustine's Bastion (a few steps from this marker); 1740 Siege (a few steps from this marker); Plaza-Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
Entrance to the Bay image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
2. Entrance to the Bay
Looking from the Castillo towards the entrance to the bay.
. NPS website. (Submitted on August 18, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement