Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bell Tower
The bell was a fire alarm and was also rung in emergencies. In 1861-1865 it was used to call out local defenders, notably on April 21, 1861 (Pawnee Sunday) and on February 7, 1864.
Tower restored by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Bell donated by the Commonwealth Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.
Erected 1933 by Commonwealth Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 37° 32.339′ N, 77° 26.119′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of N. 9th Street and E. Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is on the east face of The Bell Tower, which is located in the Capitol Square. The Bell Tower is currently occupied by the Virginia Travel Information Center. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anna Maria Lane (a few steps from this marker); Edgar Allen Poe (within shouting distance Zero Milestone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richmond Evacuation Fire (about 400 feet away); George Washington Monument (about 400 feet away); Inauguration of Davis (about 400 feet away); Harry Flood Byrd (about 500 feet away); The First National Bank Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 947 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on May 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.