Kansas City in Wyandotte County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
In memory of Moses Grinter who was sent here by the government in 1831 to establish the first ferry on the Kansas River. He operated a trading post for the Delaware Indian tribe until 1860, when it was closed. Delaware was the first post office in Kansas, established on Sept. 10, 1850.
This colonial brick house was built by Grinter in 1857.
Erected by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 4.459′ N, 94° 45.568′ W. Marker is in Kansas City, Kansas, in Wyandotte County. Touch for map. Marker is at Grinter Place State Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1420 South 78th Street, Kansas City KS 66111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grinter House (a few steps from this marker); Delaware Crossing and the Grinter Ferry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware & Wyandot Reserve (approx. 3.4 miles away); Edwardsville Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Walker School Quantrill's Raid on Shawneetown (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pleasant View Veterans' Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); Esther E. Brown (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kansas City.
Also see . . .
1. Grinter Place State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Grinter Place in Kansapedia. (Submitted on August 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 360 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.