Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Charles Bastion

Baluarte de San Carlos

 
 
St. Charles Bastion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
1. St. Charles Bastion Marker
Inscription. Here in 1740 the sentry rang the alarm whenever he saw a puff of smoke from enemy cannon across the bay. It was the signal for prayer.

Only two men in the fort were killed during the 27-day bombardment.
 
Location. 29° 53.881′ N, 81° 18.675′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from South Castillo Drive (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the parapet of Castillo de San Marcos. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1740 Siege (a few steps from this marker); Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Indian Prisoners (a few steps from this marker); Matanzas Bay (a few steps from this marker); Vigia de San Carlos (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Shot Furnace (within shouting distance of this marker); La Necesaria (within shouting distance of this marker); Northern Defense Lines (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Castillo de San Marcos National Monument. NPS website. (Submitted on August 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Bay Face of the Bastion image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
2. Bay Face of the Bastion
Cannon and sentry box stand above the parapet.
 
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, Castles
 
Sentry Box image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
3. Sentry Box
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement