Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Low Moor in Alleghany County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

A Brief History

 
 
Oakland Presbyterian Church And Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, August 18, 2011
1. Oakland Presbyterian Church And Cemetery Marker
Inscription. William Henry Haynes, Sr. donated land for the Oakland Church and cemetery in 1811 to trustees James M. Montague, John P. Haynes, David Williamson and William H. Haynes, Jr. But the deed was not recorded until 1859. The original structure is said to have been of logs.

Organization of the Presbyterian Church is noted as 1834 and construction on the brick church began in 1845. The bricks were made on the nearby Haynes plantation and carried in saddlebags on horseback to this site.

The architecture of the church carries the Scotch-Irish style plain and sturdy.

The church was originally called “the church by the springs” and served all the surrounding communities and denominations. It is the mother church to other churches in the communities of Clifton Forge, Iron Gate, Rich Patch and Low Moor. The church served as a hospital for the sick and wounded during the Civil War and there are twelve Confederate soldiers buried in the graveyard.

Regular services were held at the church with many changes in the number of attendance and denominations, until December 23, 1963.

Low Moor Presbyterian Church is the caretaker of the church and holds a homecoming celebration each year.
 
Location. 37° 48.123′ N, 79° 51.614′ 
Oakland Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, August 18, 2011
2. Oakland Presbyterian Church
W. Marker is near Low Moor, Virginia, in Alleghany County. Marker can be reached from Selma Low Moor Road (Virginia Route 696) 0.2 miles west of Oakland Drive (Virginia Route 1002), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton Forge VA 24422, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Oakland Grove Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson River Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); C&O Railroad Shops (approx. 1.4 miles away); Low Moor Iron Company Coke Ovens (approx. 1.4 miles away); Masonic Theatre (approx. 2.2 miles away); Douthat State Park (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Low Moor.
 
Also see . . .  Oakland Grove Presbyterian Church (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Oakland Presbyterian Church And Cemetery plaques image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, August 18, 2011
3. Oakland Presbyterian Church And Cemetery plaques
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 531 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement