Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Northern Defense Lines

 
 
Northern Defense Lines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
1. Northern Defense Lines Marker
Inscription. After the English burned St. Augustine in 1702, the Spanish built earthworks beyond the fort for defense against attack. Water and marsh protected the other sides.

English raiders were stopped in 1728 at the Hornwork, a half mile north of here.
 
Location. 29° 53.884′ N, 81° 18.69′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on South Castillo Drive (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the parapet of Castillo de San Marcos. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Indian Prisoners (a few steps from this marker); Chapel of St. Mark (a few steps from this marker); British Quarters (a few steps from this marker); St. Charles Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); La Necesaria (within shouting distance of this marker); Lines of Defense (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Castillo de San Marcos National Monument. NPS website. (Submitted on August 24, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Northern Defense Lines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
2. Northern Defense Lines Marker
The marker stands at the northern wall's parapet, between two cannons.
 
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement