Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1951 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number Q-6-12.)
Location. 37° 24.875′ N, 79° 8.61′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is on Church Street south of 8th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 833 Church St, Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg History (within shouting distance of this marker); Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument Lynchburg History (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Lynchburg (about 400 feet away); Point of Beginning (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “At the age of 22, Glass finally became a reporter, a job he had long sought, for the Lynchburg News. He rose to become the newspaper’s editor by 1887. The following year, the publisher retired and offered Glass the first option to purchase the business. Desperate to find financial backing, Glass received the unexpected assistance of a relative who loaned Glass enough to make a down payment of $100 on the $13,000 deal, and Glass became an editor and publisher. Free to publish whatever he wished, Glass wrote bold editorials and encouraged tougher reporting, and the morning paper had increased sales. Soon, Glass was able to acquire the afternoon Daily Advance, to buy out the competing Daily Republican, and to become the only newspaper publisher in Lynchburg. The modern-day Lynchburg News and Advance is the successor publication to his newspapers.” (Submitted on August 25, 2011.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 25, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.