Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plattsburgh in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Heritage Trail

First Blockhouse and Government Center

 
 
Heritage Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joe Harness, July 17, 2011
1. Heritage Trail Marker
Inscription. In 1789, four years after settling in Plattsburgh, residents built a block house for protection against the British - only miles away on Point au Fer on Lake Champlain. Though no British or Indian raids initially materialized, the structure served many uses. It was the first courthouse and jail for the Clinton County Government - formed in 1788. It was also the first area school. The British burned the blockhouse during a raid in 1813 - along with the barracks at Pikes Cantonment, some four miles up the Saranac River.
 
Erected by Trail Underwriter ZURN - NEPCO.
 
Location. 44° 42.187′ N, 73° 26.791′ W. Marker is in Plattsburgh, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is at the intersection of Cumberland Ave. and Durand Street, on the left when traveling south on Cumberland Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plattsburgh NY 12901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plattsburg Bay (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Champlain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); MacDonough Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); British Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Zephaniah Platt Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Plattsburgh Bay (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plattsburgh.
 
More about this marker. Marker attached:
#22 Battle of Plattsburgh Historic Trail
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar of 1812War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 44 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 28, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement