Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Safety Harbor in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission

 
 
Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 19, 2011
1. Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission Marker
Inscription.    Menendez, Spanish Governor of Florida, after building fort at St. Augustine (1565) came to this site in 1567 and persuaded the Indian Chief Tocobago and his 1500 braves who lived here, to accept Christianity. Menendez erected a blockhouse for a Mission used by Jesuit Priest, Father Rogel, and 30 soldiers.

    Later, during Rogel's absence, the Indians massacred all but three soldiers, and these were killed when Rogel's ship appeared in the bay. The Mission was abandoned in 1568.

This commemorative plaque erected by Florida Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
January 14, 1961

 
Erected 1961 by Florida Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
 
Location. 28° 0.605′ N, 82° 40.788′ W. Marker is in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker can be reached from Phillipe Park Drive east of Philippe Parkway, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of Philippe Park, a Pinellas County park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2525 Philippe Parkway, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Safety Harbor Site (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Philippe Park
Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 19, 2011
2. Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission Marker
The marker is located on the grounds of Philippe Park. The bright area to the right in the distance is the bay.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Odet Philippe (approx. 0.2 miles away); Espiritu Santo Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Espiritu Santo Springs (approx. 1.4 miles away); “The Baranoff Oak” (approx. 1.4 miles away); Endangered (approx. 2.1 miles away); First Public School (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safety Harbor.
 
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the logo of the Colonial Dames XVII Century.
 
Regarding Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission. "Bahia Espiritu Santo" was the original name given to Tampa Bay by Spanish explorers.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNative Americans
 
The "Bahia Espiritu Santo" image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 19, 2011
3. The "Bahia Espiritu Santo"
Philippe Park is situated along this alcove of Tampa Bay. Safety Harbor is used to refer to this area of water, as well as the city of Safety Harbor.
Philippe Park Entrance image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 19, 2011
4. Philippe Park Entrance
Acquired by Pinellas County in 1948, it is the county's oldest park, and the location of several historical markers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement