Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Garrett Memorial Church
(St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church)
Garrett Memorial Church first served as a “community church” for various Christian denominations although primarily Presbyterian and Episcopal congregations. In 1874, the Episcopal congregation built its own church and in 1903, the Garrett family gave title to the property to the Presbyterian Church of Oakland. After the Presbyterian congregation dwindled away, the Episcopal congregation returned once more and began holding services in the building in 1936. In 1962 the building was almost 100 years old and needed extensive repairs. The Presbyterian Church gave the Episcopal congregation
Sometimes it is called the “Church of the Presidents,” which refers to the fact that four Presidents of the United States attended services in this building while visiting Garrett County. They were Presidents Ulysses Grant, James Garfield, Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. 39° 24.57′ N, 79° 24.501′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on West Liberty Street near South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Dailey’s Park (a few steps from this marker); The Glades Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); 1884 Oakland Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Also see . . . St. Mathew's Episcopal Church,. National Register Nomination Form, 1997. (Submitted on September 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,273 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.