Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Q-7-a.)
Location. 37° 49.629′ N, 75° 59.519′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is on Main Ridge Road near Ponderosa Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Swain Memorial United Methodist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16094 Main Ridge Rd., Tangier VA 23440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Parson of the Islands (here, next to this marker); Swain Memorial United Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Telephone Office, Post Office & Myrt’s (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Copter — Flying Medicine to Tangier Tangier Island Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tangier Island Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Tangier Island World Wars I and II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladstone Memorial Health Center (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
More about this marker. Transportation on the island include many golf carts and some trucks, plus of course bikes.
Also see . . .
1. Tangier Island Guide. When you arrive, plan to leisurely stroll around the island. There are no cars, no trains, and only one historical marker. (Submitted on May 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Tangier History Museum. "No visit to Tangier Island is complete without a visit to the Museum and Visitors Center." (Submitted on September 7, 2011, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.)
3. The odd accent of Tangier VA - American Tongues episode #3. A comment to the video (below): “Yes, west country
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,551 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on August 31, 2011, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on January 8, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on January 8, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.