Near Blue Mountain Lake in Hamilton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Named in Honor Of
William West Durant
1850 - 1934
Who Devoted Much of his Life To
Developing the Adirondacks And
Making Known their Beauties
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 43° 50.728′ N, 74° 24.368′ W. Marker is near Blue Mountain Lake, New York, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from New York State Route 30. Marker is inset on a large boulder which faces the roadside rest area, originally a part of Route 28, opposite Lake Durant. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blue Mountain Lake NY 12812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Adirondacks (here, next to this marker); Fire Tower (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pioneer Bridge (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Regarding Lake Durant. Originally known as the "34 Flow", Lake Durant was created by the lumbering industry to impound
In August of 1936, the 327-acre lake was christened as "Lake Durant", and dedicated for "recreational purposes" to the general public. In 1939, the Conservation Department approved plans for the development of Lake Durant Campground. The campground opened in 1948.
William West Durant was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1850, and died in 1934. Durant's second wife, Annie Cotton, dedicated the plaque in 1936. Durant built three great camps in the Adirondacks; The Sagamore, Uncas, and Pine Knot. Each of these camps have been designated National Historic Landmarks.
Additional keywords. Great Camps
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Lake Durant.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on September 1, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.