Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Casa Avero

St. Photios

 

—National Greek Orthodox Shrine —

 
Casa Avero Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Casa Avero Marker
Inscription.
Built 1749 - Restored 1979
This shrine is dedicated to the memory of the 400 Greeks who arrived in St. Augustine in 1768, took on fresh supplies, then journeyed south to help settle the colony of New Smyrna, Florida. After ten difficult years, the survivors of that colony sought refuge in St. Augustine, where they gathered in the Avero House for worship. These pioneers comprised the first permanent settlement of Greeks on this continent. This house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Property of
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
of North and South America

 
Location. 29° 53.776′ N, 81° 18.793′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Touch for map. St. George Street is closed to vehicle traffic. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House (a few steps from this marker); Rodriquez-Avero-Sanchez House (a few steps from this marker); The Minorcan Heritage (a few steps from this marker); La Florida's El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliveros House
Casa Avero and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Casa Avero and Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Casa de Nicolas de Ortega (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Microcosm of Urban Archaeology in Downtown St. Augustine, Florida (about 300 feet away); Triay-Hall House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Saint Photios Greek Orthodox National Shrine. The St. Photios Greek Orthodox National Shrine, an institution of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, is dedicated to the first colony of Greek people who came to America in 1768. (Submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement