North 3rd Street
Formerly at 111 N 3rd Street
Up North 3rd Street from the Monarch was the Baltimore Hotel – the largest hotel in Victor in 1911. It was three stories high and had 50 large rooms for rent.
The Baltimoreís management decorated their establishment with comfortable, home-like furniture. There was a dining hall for guests, a special commercial dining room, and the German Beer Hall. Charles Bosick and John Bindscaedler ran the German Beer Hall. It was located on the first floor of the hotel. The menu was long and exotic. There were domestic and Key West cigars, imported wines like Niersteiner for $1.50 a bottle, and cheese from all over the world. Lord Kitchner Sardines from Norway cost 20 cents a plate. Prime Russian Caviar was 40 cents a serving. Old Taylor, Old Crow, and Canadian Club – all whiskies – sold for 15 cents a drink. Three Star Hennessy Brandy cost 25 cents for two drinks. Coors Hof Brau, Schlitz Special Brew, Budweiser Blue Ribbon, Spatan Brau, Bass Ale and Guiness Stout were between 15 and 35 cents a bottle. The German
Post Office Block/CC and V Mine Offices
After the great fire of 1899, D.H. Moffat was instrumental in having the Post Office Block rebuilt – primarily because it housed the Bank of Victor. From this seat of financial power, reached through the recessed corner entrance, Moffat and partner John T. Milliken helped topple the Woods family empire and then bought up the under-financed pieces. A.E. Carlton eventually became owner of this bank.
In 1900, the Post Office and a newsstand occupied the space that most recently housed a sporting goods store. Shillings Dry Goods Company was in the section of the building where the current Post Office and grocery store are located. In later years, J.C. Pennyís was located in this part of the building. On the second story were the offices rented to H.T. Corbin (justice of peace), Charles D, Gurney (attorney), John V. Ducey (dentist), and J. Wallace Collins (physician and surgeon). At a later date, one of these offices was occupied by Dr. Harry Thomas, father of Lowell Thomas.
The Cripple Creek and Victor Mining Company (CC&V) completed an extensive renovation project on the building on 1997. The first floor bank area and all the second floor serve as the administration offices of CC&V.
Note the square parapet on the southeast corner showing the construction date of 1899 and the decorative scroll-like modillions [sic] attached to the cornice. The second story windows have fixed decorative transoms with beveled-leaded glass.
Photos Courtesy Colorado Historical Society, Victor Lowell Thomas Museum
Location. 38° 42.598′ N, 105° 8.401′ W. Marker is in Victor, Colorado, in Teller County. Marker is at the intersection of South 3rd Street and Victor Avenue on South 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South 3rd Street, Victor CO 80860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Additional keywords. saloons, hotels, post office
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.