St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
historic Fort Marion
(Castillo de San Marcos)
before, during and after the
the City of St. Augustine
by the U.S. War Department
June 12, 1900
Location. 29° 53.555′ N, 81° 18.761′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Cathedral Plaza and St. George Street, on the left when traveling west on Cathedral Plaza. Touch for map. Located in the Plaza de la Constitucion. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plaza de la Constitución (here, next to this marker); Andrew Young Crossing (a few steps from this marker); Cathedral Basillica of St. Augustine (within shouting distance of this marker); Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Parish Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Augustine Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast Iron Gun (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
More about this marker.
The columbiads' presence at Fort Marion during the war. According to reports, the fort contained only 8-inch howitzers (which are still at the fort today) and 32-pdr smoothbore guns when recaptured by Federals in March 1862. The Federals may have captured the columbiads elsewhere and moved them to Fort Marion for safe-keeping.
But clearly the cannons were at Fort Marion after the war. However their use by the Army after the war would be limited. The elevation system would require pre-Civil War carriages. Further, the guns were not constructed in the manner used by the regulation Federal 8-inch guns, and would be suspect when firing full charges.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.