Cannon Falls in Goodhue County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
“We Must Have a Gun”
This original 3-inch wrought iron ordnance rifle was one of the most reliable and accurate guns of the Civil War. It could fire a 10-pound shell over a mile at 5-degree elevation, or could use a canister at closer range. The tube was made by the Phoenix Iron Company in Philadelphia and weighs 817 pounds. Over 1,000 ordnance rifles were manufactured and around 350 remain today. Historians are confident it saw action in the Civil War because of its low serial number, N183, and its early manufacture, 1862.
The cannon was placed in the cemetery where Col. Colvill had been buried in 1905 and where his statue was erected in 1909. The carriage is an exact replica, with an oak frame and cast aluminum wheels. Funds for the restoration of the cannon were provided locally and from other interested parties.
Location. 44° 30.542′ N, 92° 53.465′ W. Marker is in Cannon Falls, Minnesota, in Goodhue County. Marker can be reached from East State Street (State Highway 19 at milepost 192), 0.1 miles east of North Almond Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in the southeastern area of Cannon Falls Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Cannon Falls MN 55009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel William Colvill Monument (here, next to this marker); 1888 Cannon Falls Fire Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Vasa: Mattson's Settlement (approx. 8.3 miles away); Thomas Anderson Veblen and Kari Bunde Veblen Farmstead / History of the Veblen Farmstead (approx. 13½ miles away); Nerstrand City Hall (approx. 14½ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Phoenix Iron Works. Wikipedia entry. "During the Civil War, the factory churned out over (Submitted on September 3, 2011.)
2. Griffen Gun Photos. (Submitted on September 3, 2011.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.