Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
was the center of the British line in
The Battle of Germantown
October 4, 1777.
Here the artillery was parked.
The left wing, under Lt. Gen. Knyphausen,
extended along School House Lane to Ridge Road, comprising the commands of Major General Agnew.
The right wing, under Major General Grant,
extended along Church Lane, comprising
the command of Brigadier General Matthews and the Grenadier Guards.
---------- • ----------
The public market of early Germantown
was conducted in Marker Square.
Here too were the fire house, prison, stocks
and public scales.
Erected 1928 by Citizens of Germantown and vicinity.
Location. 40° 2.064′ N, 75° 10.355′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of Germantown Avenue and E School House Lane, on the right when traveling north on Germantown Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delplaine House (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers Monument at Germantown (within shouting distance of this marker); Reformed Church of Germantown The Germantown White House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Germantown White House (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisa May Alcott (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Germantown Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Landing of the German Colonists (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Also see . . . Information about Market Square. Historic Germantown website. (Submitted on September 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on October 4, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.