Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reformed Church of Germantown
German Reformed Congregation
was erected on this site in 1733.
Here Count Zinzendorf preached his first
sermon in America December 31, 1741
Here the British Army quartered a Virginia
Battalion captured in the Battle of Germantown.
Here George Washington worshiped when
President of the United States and while
a resident of Germantown.
The old building was replaced in 1839 by one
which made way for the present structure in 1888.
In 1856 the Congregation united with
the Fourth Presbytery of Phildelphia
as the Market Square Presbyterian Church.
Erected 1904 by The Site and Relic Society of Germantown.
Location. 40° 2.066′ N, 75° 10.325′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on Market Square, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers Monument at Germantown (a few steps from this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Germantown White House Delplaine House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Germantown White House (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisa May Alcott (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Germantown Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Christopher Saur (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.