Cathey's Valley in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Catheys Valley Schoolhouse
Over the years the schoolhouse served as a church, community hall for dances. Hard time parties and a meeting place for the Home Guard during WW II. (The Home Guard were aircraft spotters stationed at the Charles Gordo Ranch where there was a “telephone.” With this information in enemy hands, it probably discouraged any plans of invasion of the United States.)
Lighting for the schoolhouse was by coal lamps until 1947 when electricity finally reached the area.
Erected 2001 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter No. 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 26.292′ N, 120° 5.124′ W. Marker is in Cathey's Valley, California, in Mariposa County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 140, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker is located in a 'history' park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2820 California Highway 140, Catheys Valley CA 95306, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Cathey's Valley (within shouting distance of this marker); Bridgeport (approx. 4½ miles away); The Townsite of Agua Fria, California (approx. 5 miles away); Agua Fria (approx. 5.1 miles away); a different marker also named Agua Fria (approx. 5.1 miles away); La Mineta 1850 - Princeton 1854 - Mount Bullion 1862 (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Ophir Mines (was approx. 5.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Indian Gulch (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Additional keywords. Civil Defense, school
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 4, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.