Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Canaan in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

New Canaan

 
 
New Canaan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, September 4, 2011
1. New Canaan Marker
Inscription. This region was established in 1731 as Canaan Parish, a separate ecclesiastical society of the Congregational Churches of Norwalk and Stamford. Incorporated as a town in 1801. New Canaan encompassed the area of Canaan Parish with additional land annexed on the southern and western boundaries.

During the early nineteenth century, New Canaan was one of the important shoe making centers of New England. In the latter half of the nineteenth- century, considerable numbers of summer residents were attracted here. Many of their descendants made the town their home, helping to create the residential community that New Canaan remains.
 
Erected 1976 by Town of New Canaan the New Canaan Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 8.881′ N, 73° 29.574′ W. Marker is in New Canaan, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Main Street (Connecticut Route 124) 0 miles north of East Avenue (Connecticut Route 106), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 77 Main Street, New Canaan CT 06840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pinney Corners (approx. 3.1 miles away); Joseph Edward Turner, M.D.

New Canaan Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Clifton Patrick, September 4, 2011
2. New Canaan Town Hall
Marker visible at left side of photo.
(approx. 4.3 miles away); Major Samuel Comstock (approx. 4.3 miles away); Hillside Cemetery World War Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wilton Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.5 miles away); Wilton Roll of Honor (approx. 4.5 miles away); Captain Clapp Raymond (approx. 4.5 miles away); Wilton (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2011, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 494 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2011, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement