Near Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Monocan Indians Village of Pineville (Michaux)
Four homes built by the Michaux family still stand: Michaux Grant (Abraham Michaux, 1705), Hunters Fare (Jacob Michaux, 1796), Massinacack/Glendale (Miller Michaux, c. 1847), and Beaumont (William Walthall Michaux, 1811). Jacob Michaux operated a ferry across the James River in 1736. St. James Chapel was built in the 1880’s.
Erected 2001 by Michaux-St. James Foundation, Inc.
Location. 37° 38.906′ N, 77° 54.067′ W. Marker is near Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker is at the intersection of Old River Trail (Virginia Route 617) and Maidens Road (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling east on Old River Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michaux Grant (approx. 0.9 miles away); Early Transportation on the James River (approx. 1.4 miles away); Maidens Adventure Hotel (approx. 1½ Maidens, Virginia (approx. 1.6 miles away); Goochland Courthouse (approx. 2½ miles away); Goochland County Courthouse (approx. 2½ miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); The 1936 Virginia Prison Recordings (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Powhatan.
Also see . . . Michaux-St. James Foundation. (Submitted on September 6, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 866 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.