Providence Community, Holly Hill in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Providence Methodist Church
This church grew out of services held in the area by circuit riders as early as 1806. Its first church, a log building, was built on what is now Vance Rd., 1/2 mi. SW. About 1810 Timothy Shuler donated 4 acres here for a frame sanctuary, built soon afterwards. It was renovated in the 1850s and again in the 1890s.
The present Neo-Classical Revival brick church, built in 1919-1920, was designed by Charles Coker Wilson. The cemetery here dates back to 1856 and numbers more than 400 graves, including veterans of most American wars since. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
Erected 2011 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 38-35.)
Location. 33° 23.525′ N, 80° 32.457′ W. Marker is in Providence Community, Holly Hill, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Old State Road (U.S. 176) near Vance Road (South Carolina Highway 210), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4833 Old State Road, Holly Hill SC 29059, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walnut Grove Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Astrounaut Frank L. Culbertson (approx. 5.1 miles away); Target Methodist Church (approx. 6½ miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 8.4 miles away); Shady Grove Camp Ground (approx. 8.6 miles away); Captain Richard A Morris (approx. 8.7 miles away); Bowman War Memorial (approx. 8.7 miles away); Bowman S.C. (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Regarding Providence Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Providence Methodist Church (added 2009 - - #08001395)
Also known as Providence United Methodist Church
4833 Old State Rd. , Holly Hill
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Wilson, Charles Coker, Spencer, G.W.
♦ Architectural Style: Classical Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Providence Methodist Church, constructed in 1919-20, is significant architecturally as an outstanding and remarkable example of an early twentieth-century Neo-Classical sanctuary in rural lower South Carolina. The church was designed by the renowned Columbia, South Carolina architect Charles Coker Wilson, one of the most successful and influential South Carolina architects of the early twentieth century. The church building, inclusive of the sanctuary and rear educational/administrative wings, is laid out in a slightly modified cruciform plan and features a gable-front, temple-form, edifice with a central tetrastyle portico, simplified Roman Doric order limestone columns, pilasters and entablature, a boxed cornice with pedimented gables, numerous bull’s eye windows, and remarkable large stained glass Palladian windows. In particular, its outstanding sanctuary windows, which church members insist were purchased from Louis Comfort Tiffany’s studio at the time of construction, make the church a noteworthy property combining Wilson’s fine church architecture with outstanding examples of early twentieth-century art glass. To the rear of the church is a large cemetery that contributes to the significance of the property. It contains the burial plots of more than 400 parishioners and community members dating to 1856, though fewer than fifteen individuals were buried there prior
Also see . . . Welcome to Providence United Methodist Church, History. ... Early records list names of circuit riders who made stops in Providence as early as 1806. The original Providence circuit extended from our area to the Cooper River.... (Submitted on September 8, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 8, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 12, 13, 14. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.