North Blenheim in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
bridge in world. Built by
Blenheim Bridge Company,
Incorporated 1828. Last of
its kind in this region.
Erected 1936 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 28.386′ N, 74° 26.445′ W. Marker is in North Blenheim, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 30 and Eastside Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 30. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: North Blenheim NY 12131, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Blenheim Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Jacob Hager (approx. 1.4 miles away); Manor House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 3.8 miles away); Gilboa Settlement (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Upper Fort 1777 (approx. 8 miles away); Timothy Murphy (approx. 8 miles away); Site of Battle (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Blenheim.
Regarding Blenheim Bridge. The Old Blenheim Bridge was located in the Town of Blenheim on State Route 30 in North Blenheim, Schoharie County, New York.
It's interesting to note that the bridge was not built in place over the Schoharie Creek as most folks would imagine, but rather was assembled at a site nearby, to insure the pieces all fit together correctly. Afterwards it was disassembled and erected in its former location across the creek.
Local lore has it that while the stone abutments were being built one of the masons was sent to fetch a jug of whiskey. Before they got a chance to open the jug and imbibe, the president of the bridge company, J. Dickinson, who was a "teetotaller" (it's an archaic term by today’s standard, a tetotallar being someone who practices and promotes the complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages) arrived unannounced to inspect the progress of the bridge.
The picturesque old bridge has had many adventures. It has been afire three times and is now insured like any ordinary house. Twice the roof caught fire from windblown sparks and embers from burning buildings in the village. And once, many years ago, when traveling tinkers went about mending pots and pans, carrying a small charcoal stove to heat their soldering irons, one of these tinkers went so sleep in the bridge and tipped his stove over. The hot coals ignited the wooden bridge but someone happened along in time to put the fire out and to sober up the "tinker" in the nearby river. – Schenectady Union-Star: Feb. 26, 1930
On August 28, 2011, record flooding along the Schoharie Creek, due to Tropical Storm Irene, resulted in the bridge being washed away and completely destroyed.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. There are other Markers about this Bridge at the former site of the bridge portal.
Also see . . .
1. Blenheim Covered Bridge Historic Marker. Some very interesting background information on the Blenheim Covered Bridge. (Submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Historic American Engineering Record for the Blenheim Covered Bridge. (Submitted on October 2, 2008.)
Additional keywords. Covered Bridge Double Barrel Nicholas Montgomery Powers Tory William Beacraft Hurricane Irene Tropical Storm Irene Damage Schoharie Creek Flood Damage 2011
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,780 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on September 10, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1. submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on September 10, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7. submitted on October 2, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8, 9, 10. submitted on September 10, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.