Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This important example of military architecture is a dramatic reminder of the early defenses erected in New York Harbor to protect the City from invasion by sea. Like so many other early fortifications in this country, its star-shaped plan was inspired by the designs of Sebastien de Vauban, the great French military architect. The fort was completed in 1798 and named after John Jay, then Secretary of Foreign Affairs. Strengthened in 1806-1808, the massive walls, bristling with a hundred guns, helped to deter the British from attacking the City during the War of 1812. Today, it is under the jurisdiction of the United States Coast Guard.
Erected 1976 by New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 41.478′ N, 74° 0.93′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Quadrangle Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on Governors Island, at the fort entrance. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Students and Soldiers of Freedom (a few steps from this marker); The New York Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pershing Hall Evans Road (about 400 feet away); Governors Island (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Pershing Hall (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Governors Island (about 500 feet away); The Pershing Oak (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Governors Island.
Also see . . . Detailed information about Fort Jay on Governors Island. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 337 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.