Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Students and Soldiers of Freedom
In keeping with the American tradition that men will defend freedom with both ideas and arms, this plaque is presented to Fort Jay by the Association of the Alumni of Columbia College to memorialize the fact that in 1794 students and faculty of Columbia worked with shovel and barrows to help erect this fort, named after John Jay, Columbia graduate of the Class of 1764, whose life exemplified the best traditions of free men.
Erected 1952 by Association of the Alumni of Columbia College.
Location. 40° 41.472′ N, 74° 0.932′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Quadrangle Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on Governors Island, at the entrance to Fort Jay. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Jay (a few steps from this marker); The New York Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pershing Hall (about 400 feet away); Evans Road (about 400 feet away); Governors Island Pershing Hall (about 500 feet away); Nolan Park (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Governors Island (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Governors Island.
Also see . . .
1. Detailed information about Fort Jay on Governors Island. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Governors Island. New York Harbor Parks website. (Submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.