St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles
1519 - 1574
Governor and Captain General, Conquistador,
Adelantado in Perpetuity of Florida.
Founded St. Augustine September 8, 1565
* * * * * * * * * *
Statue was a gift of the people of the city of
Aviles, Spain to the people of St. Augustine.
* * * * * * *
Formal dedication ceremonies held September 8, 1972
Attended by distinguished delegations from
Spain and the United States
dedicated by the city commision
St. Augustine, Florida
the Ambassador of Spain to the U.S.
Menéndez Day Ceremony
February 15, 1978
after the death of
Conquistador and Adelantado
the City of Saint Augustine
Founded by Pedro Menendez de Aviles
on September 8, 1565
1574 Anno Domini 1924
Erected 1972 by City of Aviles, Spain.
Location. 29° 53.5′ N, 81° 18.847′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Cordova Street, on the right when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Alcazar Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Hotel Alcazar Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry M. Flagler (within shouting distance of this marker); Ponce de Leon Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Wing Loring (about 300 feet away); Tolomato Street (about 300 feet away); Government House: Changing of the Guard (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Pedro Menéndez de Aviles. Wikipedia biography. One of the illustrations is a memorial, with statue, honoring Menendez in his home city of Aviles Spain. (Submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 782 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.