Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Queen City of the Chattahoochee
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 030-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 36.208′ N, 85° 2.933′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Hartford Road (Georgia Route 37) and Washington Street (Georgia Route 39), on the right when traveling east on Hartford Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines (within shouting distance of this marker); Clay County (within shouting distance of this marker); Clay County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines Guards (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Sites (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Gaines (approx. 0.4 miles away); In the Confederacy (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
Also see . . . Fort Gaines, Ga. Our History (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 382 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.