Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Governorís House
The Governorís House was constructed in 1813 as a guardhouse for the Island. Its location on a bluff overlooking Buttermilk Channel and the primary Island dock was ideally suited for this purpose. By 1824, it was used as the residence for the commanding officer of the post. The commanding officer continued to live here until the Commanding Officerís Quarters, located two doors to the south, was completed in 1843. At that time, the Governorís House was used as offices for the post commander, while the basement continued to be used as a guardhouse until approximately 1863.
The name “Governorís House” is a misnomer as no New York State governor ever occupied the building. In 1698, the British officially acquired the Island and English colonial governors established a headquarters here, resulting in the name “Governors Island.” The house may have been called “the Governorís House” due to its proximity to the location of the original English colonial governorís residence, which no longer survives.
The house was altered many times over the years. The most dramatic of these changes was the removal of the original two-story porches located on the east and west facades of the building, and the addition of the garage and patio at its rear. The majority of the alterations were made in the 1830s
Location. 40° 41.452′ N, 74° 0.799′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from Barry Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Historic District of Governors Island. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Governors House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Governorís House (a few steps from this marker); The Dutch and Governors Island (a few steps from this marker); Commanding Officerís Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Pershing Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Omaha Dock (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pershing Oak (about 300 feet away); Nolan Park (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Governors Island.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features an outline of the Governorís House. Two photographs also appear on the right side of the marker. One is an1864 picture of the house with a caption of “The guardhouse was located at the rear
Also see . . .
1. History of Governors Island. The Trust for Governors Island website. (Submitted on September 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Governors Island. New York Harbor Parks website. (Submitted on September 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Governors Island National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.