Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Governors Island Medical Buildings
This Greek revival style building was constructed in 1839 to serve as a post hospital. In its earliest configuration, the hospital consisted of two wards on the first floor and three smaller wards on the second. The basement contained offices, a kitchen, storerooms, the dispensary, and staff quarters.
This hospital replaced an earlier general hospital located at the northern end of the Island. During wartime, the demands on the post hospital grew as wounded from far a-field were transferred to Governors Island for treatment. Patients included wounded and ill from a conflict in Florida with the Seminole Indians in 1840, personnel stricken with yellow fever during an outbreak on the Island in 1856, and the countless wounded from the Civil War. After the addition of new wings in 1862, the hospital was temporarily named a “general hospital” because it served the larger army population outside of Governors Island.
In 1935, a new hospital was built near Castle Williams and this building was converted into an Army headquarters for the Department of the East. Its responsibilities included all Army operations east of Illinois and the Mississippi River. The new hospital was designed by the prominent architects McKim, Meade & White, who were responsible for most of the Islandís monumental buildings, including Liggett
Location. 40° 41.342′ N, 74° 0.843′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from Barry Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Historic District on Governors Island. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Block House (Governors Island) (here, next to this marker); Tower Carillon Chimes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Cornelius Chapel (about 400 feet away); Maj. General Hanson E. Ely Retirement (about 400 feet away); Nolan Park (about 400 feet away); The South Battery (about 500 feet away); John Peter Zenger (about 500 feet away); Evans Road (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Governors Island.
More about this marker. A picture of the new hospital appears on the right side of the marker. It has a caption of “Building 515, to north near Castle Williams, was constructed in 1935 to handle the growing medical needs of the Island population.” Below this is a drawing of buildings with
Also see . . .
1. History of Governors Island. The Trust for Governors Island website. (Submitted on September 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Governors Island. New York Harbor Parks website. (Submitted on September 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Governors Island National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 531 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.