LIVE OAK TREE ~ This magnificent tree, with a circumference of 16 feet was brought from Florida and planted by Gen. Gaines.
THE GLOBE ~ “Globe Tavern,” first operated by Charles Suddoph, was at the NW corner of Washington and Carroll Streets. The brass globe at its entrance signified the tavern, “the most popular in SW Georgia,” was open and ready to refresh the traveler. When the tavern burned, the globe was moved across the street.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 030-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 36.363′ N, 85° 2.924′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on North Washington Street (Georgia Route 39) 0 miles north of Carroll Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 N. Washington Street, Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Gaines Guards (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clay County (about 700 feet away); Clay County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines (about 700 feet away); Queen City of the Chattahoochee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Fort Gaines Female College (approx. 0.3 miles away); In the Confederacy (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.