Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
David Smeaton named and promoted the spring in 1874. From that time through the 1930’s, Silurian water was bottled and shipped nationwide from this spring.
A beautifully landscaped park once existed on this site with a bath house, pond, roller coaster, bandstand and bottling plant. Guests crowded to the Park to hear concerts and drink the water.
The Casino Theater was located behind the spring. Popular touring plays were presented every summer.
The structure was built in 1926. Since the city acquired the park in 1941, it has been restored four times and has served as a reminder of Waukesha’s Spring Era.
Funded by Waukesha 1834 Club
Erected 2008 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 34-14.)
Location. 43° 0.577′ N, 88° 13.371′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from Post Office Circle 0.1 miles west of East Broadway Street and North Hartwell Avenue Touch for map. Marker is located in Waukesha Spring Park, North Hartwell Avenue, but is most easily accessible from Post Office Circle, off East Broadway. Marker is in this post office area: Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Tribes Bible Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Legion Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rotunda (approx. 0.4 miles away); Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carroll College (approx. half a mile away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
1. Current status of Spring
Today this spring is housed in a stone structure that sits behind the current Waukesha Post Office and YMCA in a city park.
— Submitted May 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,175 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on September 16, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.