Friant in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the Millerton Area Whose Remains Rest Here
Winchell Cove Cemetery
The first courthouse of Fresno County was constructed in 1887 in the town of Millerton and the first public school in Fresno County was opened in the hospital building at Fort Miller in 1860.
The granite blocks forming this monument were part of the old courthouse.
Erected 1942 by United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Reclamation.
Location. 36° 59.833′ N, 119° 39.517′ W. Marker is in Friant, California, in Fresno County. Marker can be reached from Winchell Cove Road. Touch for map. 19305 Winchell Cove Road is the office for Winchell Cove. If you stand in front of the office and look Northeast across Winchell Cove, you can just make out the gate of the Winchell Cove Cemetery. The Marker sits behind the locked gates of the cemetery. There is a half mile long walking trail that leads to the marker and the cemetery. Winchell Cove Road is a few miles east of the town of Friant off Millerton Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19305 Winchell Cove Road, Friant CA 93626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Millerton (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Washington (approx. 9½ miles away); Academy Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Academy (approx. 10.1 miles away); Tarpey Depot (approx. 12.1 miles away); Clovis Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.2 miles away); Christmas Tree Lane (approx. 15½ miles away).
More about this marker. Located just above the high water mark so that those now resting here will never be disturbed again. One pioneer grave rested by itself at this location for many years before the two small cemeteries in the town of Millerton and the cemetery at the fort had all of the unclaimed remains moved to this location.
Regarding Erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the Millerton Area Whose Remains Rest Here. The Pioneers of Fresno County lived and died at Millerton and Fort Miller. When the county seat moved to Fresno California in 1875, all of the businesses in town picked up and moved to Fresno leaving nothing but a few farms and abandoned buildings in the area, along with the cemeteries of those that died here. When a dam (Friant Dam) was proposed to control the San Joaquin River, an attempt was made to locate relatives of those buried at Millerton. Those bodies that remained unclaimed
Also see . . . Fort Miller. The California State Military Museum offers a history of the fort. (Submitted on September 19, 2011.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,224 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 4, 5. submitted on September 19, 2011. 6. submitted on September 17, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 7. submitted on February 4, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.