Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The second college chartered to confer graduate degrees upon women. Served as a Confederate Hospital 1863-65.
The first women’s college in the South to include Physical Education in its curriculum (1867).
Today, a fully accredited Junior College, it has upheld throughout a century the highest principles of educated, Christian womanhood.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 120-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 46.314′ N, 84° 47.72′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street (U.S. 82) and Andrew Street, on the right when traveling west on College Street. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the main building on the Andrew College campus. Marker is in this post office area: Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hood Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. ¼ mile away); Shady Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. 0.3 miles away); The City of Cuthbert and Early Randolph County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Randolph County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
Also see . . . History of Andrew College. Andrew College became coeducational in 1956, three years after the marker was erected. (Submitted on September 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on September 17, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.