Venice in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926
The two story building was constructed of hollow clay tiles with stucco exterior at an estimated cost of $45,000.00. The building was designed for five apartments on the second floor. The apartments were leased before the building was completed because of the limited housing market. The original tenant of the first floor retail space was Venice Pharmacy, Inc. The space featured a pink onyx soda fountain and solid mahogany store features finished in black walnut.
By 1928, the Peninsula Telephone Company operated its switchboard from a rear store front. In an emergency residents contacted the switchboard operator who activated a red signal light on the roof of the building. This alerted the Venice police to contact the operator.
The Venice Company became owners of the building in 1978. Its exterior is essentially unchanged from its 1926 appearance. The Johnson-Schoolcraft Building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2003 by Venice Area Historical Society.
Location. Touch for map. This historical marker is affixed to the outside wall of the building, which is located in the downtown business district. Marker is in this post office area: Venice FL 34285, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ennes Arcade and Hotel Valencia 1926 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kentucky Military Institute (about 500 feet away); San Marco Hotel (about 500 feet away); Venice (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Kentucky Military Institute (about 700 feet away); The Hotel Venice (about 800 feet away); Fred Albee Municipal Airport (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eagle Point Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Venice.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 388 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 17, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.