Rockport in Spencer County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Flatboat Trip
In a very real sense of the word it might be said that the Emancipation Proclamation which Lincoln issued in 1863 owes its origin to this flatboat trip.
Erected 1939 by Spencer County Historical Society and the Rockport City Park Board.
Location. 37° 52.729′ N, 87° 2.657′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Indiana, in Spencer County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st Street and Clark Street, on the left when traveling south on South 1st Street. Touch for map. Located in "Rocky Side Park" which is entered from Main Street and South 2nd Street. "Rocky Side Park" follows the Ohio River and the very rocky high bluffs. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport IN 47635, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Rocky Beginning (here, next to this marker); A Visit Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Rockport Tavern (approx. Abraham Lincoln was a Guest in 1844 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Revolutionary War Honor Roll - Spencer County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vietnam Honor Roll (approx. 0.8 miles away); Courthouse Burned (approx. 8.1 miles away in Kentucky); Daviess Countians Who Served (approx. 8.1 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
Also see . . . "Building a Flatboat" ::. Courtesy - "Readings in Indiana History" (Pp. 231-241) offers a number of adventures including "Flatboating Days", "Indiana Flatboats at New Orleans", "A Ferry-Boat Ad", and the "Steamboat Trip on the Wabash". (A good read to learn how to build a flatboat..) (Submitted on September 20, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 615 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 19, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.