The Georgian Terrace Hotel
The Terrace served as the headquarters for the Metropolitan Opera when it visited Atlanta each Spring in the early 1900’s. The great opera singer, Enrico Caruso stayed here in 1913 and sent a gracious thank you from London complimenting the excellent food and accommodations. Clark Gable, Vivian Leigh and most of the “Gone With The Wind” cast stayed here when the film premiered in Atlanta in December, 1939.
The Terrace served as host to Presidents Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge. Arthur Murray once operated one of his early dancing schools here while he was attending Georgia Tech.
Over the years “The Grand Old Lady of Peachtree” became known as one of the great hotels of the Southeast because of its elaborate Ballroom, the Terrace Outdoor Café, Marble lobby and elegant furnishings.
Erected 1992 by The Georgian Terrace Hotel.
Location. 33° 46.35′ N, 84° 23.083′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James J. Andrews (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (about 800 feet away); Baltimore Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Academy of Medicine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Margaret Mitchell House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sector of Siege Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); Georgia Institute of Technology (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Regarding The Georgian Terrace Hotel. The Georgian Terrace Hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . .
1. The Terrace Hotel - Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. The Terrace Hotel website. (Submitted on September 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 8. submitted on November 13, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.