Constitution Island in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gravel Hill Battery
With its excellent field of fire, Gravel Hill Battery was the islandís key fortification against British ships. Constructed in the spring of 1776, after Fort Constitutionís inability to command the Hudson had become evident, it was destroyed during British operations in October 1777. The battery was rebuilt in 1778 as the islandís first fortification in the new West Point defensive complex.
This simple battery was hastily constructed in both 1776 and 1778. No stone masonry was used, and the earthen parapets were probably held in place by timber or fascines. The number of cannon in the battery varied; eleven were listed in 1776, six in 1778.
Location. 41° 24.129′ N, 73° 56.945′ W. Marker is in Constitution Island, New York, in Orange County. Touch for map. Marker is located on Constitution Island, near the picnic area. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill Cliff Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Warner House (about 600 feet away); Anna B. Warner Memorial Garden (about 600 feet away); Redoubt 5 (about 600 feet away); Revolutionary War Constitution Island Fortress West Point (about 700 feet away); The Great Chain (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named The Great Chain (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Constitution Island.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 381 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.