Grove Hill in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Grove Hill, Alabama
Grove Hill, first inhabited by Choctaw Indians, was settled by pioneers in the early 1800s. The settlement was called Magoffin's Store after James Magoffin whose shop, two miles from the present courthouse, opened in 1815. Grove Hill has also been known as Smithville and Macon. There was little activity in Grove Hill prior to 1832 when the county seat moved from Clarksville to its present site, and a one-story frame courthouse was constructed. During the 1830s, Grove Hill was one of the principle towns in the county. One of the earliest businesses in the county seat was a hotel kept by Tom Brown, a free man of color. The oldest continually operating business in Clarke County, the newspaper called the Clarke County Democrat, began in Grove Hill in 1856. Both business were located on the north side of Main Street in front of the Courthouse.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The first school, Macon Male and Female Academy, opened in September 1846. In 1909, Clarke County High School was established in a two-story brick building located on the school's present site.
A sad episode in the town's history occurred in the summer of 1853 when a terrible Yellow Fever epidemic swept through the area. Many of those who died are buried in a cemetery near Church
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Grove Hill.
Location. 31° 42.564′ N, 87° 46.67′ W. Marker is in Grove Hill, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and Court Street. Touch for map. Marker stands in the Laurie Carleton Park next to the posted address. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 Main Street, Grove Hill AL 36451, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarke County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarke County Soldiers Of The American Revolution (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colored and White Soldiers of World War I (about 400 feet away); Creagh Law Office (about 500 feet away); Elijah & Issac Pugh (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fort Sinquefield (approx. 4.6 miles away); Kimbell - James Massacre (approx. 5.1 miles away); Reverend Timothy Horton Ball, A. M. (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grove Hill.
Also see . . .
1. History of Clark County Democrat. (Submitted on September 27, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Grove Hill. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.