Monroe County's Carnegie Library
County's only Carnegie Library dedicated in 1918 as Bloomington Public Library with 6,439 volumes; built with local support and $31,000 from Carnegie Corporation. Replaced Colored School, at this site circa 1874-1915. Addition built at southeast corner in 1955. Library moved to new building nearby 1970.
One of 1,679 Carnegie libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie libraries than any other state. Building listed in National Register of Historic Places 1978. Monroe County Historical Society and Museum refurbished and occupied building 1980.
Erected 2007 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Monroe County Public Library Foundation. (Marker Number 53.2007.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 10.049′ N, 86° 31.924′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Indiana, in Monroe County. Marker is on Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomington IN 47408, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Colored School (a few steps from this marker);
More about this marker. Located on the lawn of the Monroe County History Center in Bloomington, Indiana.
Also see . . . Video - Biography of Andrew Carnegie (Courtesy - YouTube):. (Submitted on February 6, 2013.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2011, by Cory Burger of Bloomington, Indiana. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2011, by Cory Burger of Bloomington, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.