Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Red Wing in Goodhue County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium

 
 
T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, July 22, 2011
1. T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium Marker
Inscription. Theodore B. Sheldon, prominent local grain merchant and business leader, bequeathed to the City of Red Wing half of his estate to be used for a public purpose. After his death in 1900, his trustees chose to construct the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium.

Built in 1904, it is believed to be the first municipally owned playhouse in the United States.

The gray brick building of Renaissance style, designed by Lowell Lamoreaux, originally had a triple doorway at the entrance and porte-cochères for carriage patrons at either side.

The interior of the theatre, described as a jewel box, glowed with the elegance of ornate plaster work in ivory and gold set off against the deep red of the carpets and velvet draperies.

The building was damaged by fire and reconstructed in 1918. Motion pictures, introduced at the Auditorium in 1917, became increasingly popular, necessitating remodeling in 1936 to provide additional seating.

In 1988, the interior of the theatre was restored to its 1904 appearance with financial support from the Red Wing Area Fund, local corporations, individuals, and the passage of a bond issue.

Through the years a succession of show troupes, noted lecturers, musical groups and distinguished artists have graced the stage of the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium. Used
T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium and Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, July 22, 2011
2. T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium and Marker
National Register of Historic Places #76001054
Listed June 3, 1976
extensively by local talent as well, it continues to be the focal point of the community's cultural life.

Erected by the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium Board
and the Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission
1989

 
Erected 1989 by the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium Board and the Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission.
 
Location. 44° 33.854′ N, 92° 32.103′ W. Marker is in Red Wing, Minnesota, in Goodhue County. Marker is on West 3rd Street east of East Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 443 West 3rd Street, Red Wing MN 55066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. National Newspaper Association (here, next to this marker); Goodhue County Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sea Wing Disaster / Victims of the Sea Wing Disaster (approx. 0.2 miles away); Geology of Minnesota (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mt. La Grange – Barn Bluff (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kiwanis Stairway (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Red Wing.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of The Sheldon Theatre. (Submitted on September 30, 2011.)
2. Sheldon Auditorium. Wikipedia photo. (Submitted on September 30, 2011.) 
 
Additional keywords. The Sheldon Theatre
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 30, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement