Tenleytown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
To the Rescue
Top of the Town
—Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
As people turned to hospitals for nursing care, the sisters explored expanding their convent for on-site care, but lacked the necessary resources. So they sold their building to the Embassy of France. The French International School held classes here in the late 1960s, followed by the all-girls Oakcrest School. In 2010 the Yuma Study Center planned to occupy the old convent, a city Historic Landmark since 2004.
Hidden from view to your right is Dunblane, one of the last remaining estate houses in Tenleytown. The Greek Revival style country retreat was built in the early 1800s. When fox hunting grew fashionable later that century, the house hosted the elite Dumblane Hunt (the name has two spellings). Eventually the grounds were sold for Immaculata Seminary, and the old mansion was adapted for elementary school classes. Today
Ahead on your left is St. Ann’s Church, a Tenleytown institution dating back to 1866. This building, dedicated in 1948 as the church’s third on this site, is a fine example of the magnificent urban Roman Catholic parish churches built between 1900 and the Great Depression of the 1930s.
(Marker reverse, same on all markers in this series)
Tenelytown’s story begins with Native American footpaths that crossed at the highest natural elevation in what became Washington, DC. European settlers broadened the paths into roads, and in the late 1700s the enterprising John Tennally opened a tavern at the intersection of today’s Wisconsin Avenue and River Road. Soon a community known as Tennallytown surrounded the tavern. Until the early 1880s Tennallytown remained a village amid rural Washington County, where about a dozen tightly knit and often inter-married families dominated daily life. Then modern transportation made Tenleytown easily accessible to downtown and pushed it into the 20th century.
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail shows you where, during the Civil War, the Union Army created Fort Reno. See where a mostly African American community grew up on—and eventually was erased from—the grounds of the old fort. Discover traces of
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail is an Official Washington, DC Walking Trail. The self-guided tour of 19 signs, just under three miles, offers about two hours of gentle exercise.
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail, a free booklet capturing the trail’s highlights, is available in both English and Spanish language editions at local businesses and institutions along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, please visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Top of the Town: Tenleytown Heritage Trail is produced by Linda Donavan Harper, Alisha Bell, Laura Brower, Mara Cherkasky, Sarah Fairbrother, Helen Gineris, Elizabeth Goldberg, Carmen Harris, Pamela Jafari, Jane Freundel Levey, Akilah Luke, Yillah Rosenfeld, Leon Seemann, Frank Stewart, and Pat Wheeler of Cultural Tourism DC in collaboration with the District Department of Transportation, the Washington Convention and Sports Authority, the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Tenleytown Neighbors Association, the Tenleytown Historical Society, and the Tenleytown Heritage Trail Working Group. Special thanks to Working Group Chair Carolyn Long and Historian Carole Abrams Kolker, and Working
Thank you also to ANCs 3E and 3F, Jim Anderson, Jean Bathurst, Brian Bowers, Yvonne Carignan, Jane Charter, Dustin Davis, John and Linda Derrick, James Embrey, Kathleen Franz, Pamela Gardner, Matt Glassman, Nicole Goldman, Mark Greek, Ashley Hair, Jeannette Harper, Ron Harvey, Faye Haskins, Mary Herbert, Judith Helm, Bill Jarrett, Joel Kemelhor, Maryanne Ball Kendall, Brian Kraft, Susan and Greg Lewis, Camille Martone, Lisa McCarty, Susan McElrath, Alison McWilliams, Eda Offutt, Elvi Moore, Anne Manoukian Page, Eddy Palanzo, Lewis Parker, Khalim Piankhi, Brian Porto, Bill Reeves, Priscilla D. Ricker, Nelson Rimensnyder, Donna Burrows Rose, Kathryn S. Smith, Barbara D. Tate, Barry Tillman, Rebecca Trachtman, Emma Byrum
Photo of Fort Reno Park water towers (1928) on each sign appears courtesy, The Washington Post.
(Marker shows a copyright dated 2010.) Design by Karol A. Keane Design, Map by Bowring Cartographic.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 13.)
Location. 38° 56.773′ N, 77° 4.843′ W. Marker is in Tenleytown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Yuma Street east of 42nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. On the Circle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Spirit of Community (about 700 feet away); For the Children (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Country Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Touch with the World (approx. ¼ mile away); The Civil War Defenses of Washington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Reno (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Reno (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tenleytown.
More about this marker. There are a number of photographs on the marker. Clockwise from upper right the captions read;
♦ “Home nursing from Sisters Stephanie and Mary of Incarnation, 1954, far left”, ♦ “and Sister Aloysious Barrett, left, 1940.”
♦ “Sister Cornelius Cremin, who learned lacemaking in Ireland, made this cap around 1940.”
♦ “The original modest St. Ann’s Church and hall, seen in the 1920s.” ♦ “The current church is seen under construction around 1947 at left.“
♦ “Gathering the hounds for the Dunblane Hunt, around 1900, above.” ♦ “A few years later, Chevy Chase Hunt members meet at the same spot.”
♦ The large photograph on the reverse (common face) of the marker is captioned, “The sisters of the Convent of Bon Secours, 1961.”
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,061 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 5. submitted on December 4, 2013, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?