Racine in Racine County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Blake House / Lucius S. Blake
The Blake House
Italian Villa in style, this cream brick house was built in 1868 for George and Roxilana Bull. Lucius and Caroline Blake purchased the house in 1873 and it remained in the family until 1926.
Most remarkable is the centrally located Tuscan tower. Other Italianate features include round arched windows accented with corbelled brick hoods, paired wooden brackets, and side bays. Interior features include marble fireplaces, ornamental plaster rosettes and crown moldings, parquet flooring, pocket doors and shutters, and decorative woodwork.
The house was scheduled for demolition in 1976, but a coalition of cultural groups was formed to save it. In 2005 Preservation Racine, Inc. purchased the building. The house is a Racine Landmark and also a key building in Racine’s National Register of Historic Places Southside Historic District.
(Continued on other side)
Lucius S. Blake
(Continued from other side)
One of Racine’s first industrialists, Lucius Blake (1816-1894), founded a number of early businesses. Born in Burlington, Vermont,
In 1844 Blake became the first manufacturer of fanning mills in Racine. Hand-cranked fanning mills blew air through wheat to remove chaff and were much in demand. By 1879 his firm, Blake, Beebe and Co., was selling 3,000 mills a year worldwide.
Blake helped establish the Racine Woolen Mills and the Chicago Rubber Clothing Company. He also served as village trustee, alderman, and county treasurer. In 1882, he financed the opulent, six-story, 1,250-seat Blake Opera House in downtown Racine, which burned down two years later.
Plaque sponsored by Preservation Racine, Inc.
Erected 2010 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 532.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 43.316′ N, 87° 46.962′ W. Marker is in Racine, Wisconsin, in Racine County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and 10th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 936 S Main St, Racine WI 53403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Racine County Historical Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); Joshua Glover Commemorative Marker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jerome Increase Case / Mascot and Trademark (approx. 0.4 miles away); Racine, Wisconsin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Racine Harbor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Southside Historic District/ Southside Historic District Parks (approx. 0.4 miles away); Racine City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Racine.
Also see . . . Preservation Racine, Inc. Access to Preservation Racine's digital collection including newsletters which chronicle the Blake House preservation and restoration effort. (Submitted on October 7, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.