New Harmony in Posey County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
New Harmony Workingmen's Institute
William Maclure and other intellectuals came to New Harmony 1826 to join Robert Owen's utopian experiment. Maclure established the Workingmen's Institute 1838 to serve as model of self-education for laborers. Operated in various New Harmony sites until construction of this Romanesque style building 1894.
This is the last remaining workingmen's library of 144 in 89 Indiana counties sponsored by Maclure's bequest. It still serves as library, archives, and museum and is oldest continuously operating public library in the state. Part of National Historic Landmark Historic District designated 1966.
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Workingmen's Institute. (Marker Number 65.2001.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 7.735′ N, 87° 56.164′ W. Marker is in New Harmony, Indiana, in Posey County. Marker is on Tavern Street west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 West Tavern Street, New Harmony IN 47631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker New Harmony, Indiana (1814-1827) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named New Harmony (about 400 feet away); David Dale Owen (about 400 feet away); Rappite Community House No. 2 (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named New Harmony (about 600 feet away); New Harmony Area Veterans Memorial (about 800 feet away); In Perfect Harmony (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maclure Park Bandstand (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Harmony.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 4, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.